Why is closet organization important?
Who hasn’t struggled at one time or another with a closet that just won’t cooperate? Getting dressed and out the door is critical to a less stressful life – we do it at least once a day! So why does the closet remain such a struggle for many of us?
If your goal is to become more organized overall and improve your time management, a great place to start is in your closet. Here are some closet organizing tips to get started.
– Make sure you have proper lighting. Can you see into the back corners of your closet where clothes are lurking? Battery operated lights will make seeing everything in your closet a snap.
– Start from the bottom up and tackle everything that’s on the floor. In a rush, we tend to dump items on the floor figuring we’ll get to them later but instead they continue to pile up and we can’t find what we need when we need it.
– Pull out empty hangers – even wire hangers take up a lot of room
and make pulling out items difficult if they are caught up with empty hangers. And take your hangers on your next run to the dry cleaner – they will recycle and reuse them.
How do I keep my closet organized?
– Hang it up! Install metal butler hooks or removable command hooks for a multitude of items including hooded sweatshirts, belts, pajamas, accessories, etc and you’ve immediately found more room within your closet.
– Purge, purge and purge some more! Pull out the stuff you really don’t love or don’t wear and donate or consign it. It does you no good sitting in your closet taking up valuable “real estate”.
Closets can be challenging spaces. Clothes are much more than just things you wear – they are memories of special times and events and represent motivation and sometimes disappointment. Working with an organizing professional can help you break through your roadblocks and keep what you love and get rid of the rest….