Here are some tips for putting a little more merry and a bit less stress into your holiday season…..here’s to a joyful holiday season and a healthy and happy 2019!
- Track the gift purchases you have made and need to make in a spreadsheet or notebook. Recording gifts as you purchase them gives you a “snapshot” of what you’ve already purchased and what still needs to be done. Seeing the details in “black and white” keeps you from last minute panic purchases and keeps overspending in check.
- Keep “working your calendar” during these busy weeks. Don’t immediately respond to invitations. Review each commitment with family members prior to responding. This will go a long way in not double-booking at both the office holiday party and Aunt Ethel’s eggnog and fruitcake bash.
- Stopping at your favorite coffee shop for a caffeine boost? Now is a great time to pick up gift cards for the bus driver, teachers and babysitter. Everyone loves receiving gift cards. By stocking up on these items now, you’ll have them on hand and won’t be rushing around at the last minute trying to find a gift for Dave the Mailman.
- Stressed about what to get your teenaged nieces and nephews this holiday season? Again, gift cards are always appreciated. Teenagers enjoy hanging out with friends and going to the movies so movie theatre gift cards are always a big hit. Google a theatre chain near their home and either pick up the gift cards there or order online. Add some holiday candy and you have a great gift and look – now you’re the “cool” family member!
- Now is a great time to check on your holiday wrapping supplies from last year. You may have enough paper and bows but you need gift tags and tape – buy these items on your next trip to the store. And be sure to purchase enough for the whole family to use. When your kids and spouse are wrapping on Christmas Eve, they’ll appreciate having enough supplies!
- We all love receiving cards from friends and family but they do pile up during the holidays. To keep your cards organized and able to be enjoyed, frame an interior doorway or two in your home with a wide velvet ribbon anchored with push pins and hang your cards with clothespins on the ribbon. Voila – an instant photo organizer for the holidays!